Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I'm back

I have been busy at work and have been moving slowly on my casting activities. Since I last posted I have switched gears a bit and purchased a Smithy 3-in-1 Lathe/Mill/Drill, the Granite 1324 Max. the reason for the purchase has nothing to do with my casting activities but I have come up with several projects that need the larger capabilities of the 1324. having the 1324 WILL make things much easier when I do get around to making the Gingery machines with the foundry, so I figured I was coming out ahead anyway. For those of you that don't know about Smithy, they make a number of 3-in1 machines as well as stand alone Milling Machines and Lathes, both manual and dedicated CNC. From the research I did prior to buying it seemed that all of the reviews I read pointed to the Smithy machines as being the best 3-in-1 on the market. The 1324 has a 13 inch swing on the Lathe with 24 inches between centers which should work for the vast majority of the work I may need to do.The machines are in the light industrial category which will work for me as well. I will add some pictures of the new equipment soon.
I will still be working on the casting projects, I just will be side tracked a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment