Saturday, July 31, 2010

First cuts

No pictures, but as soon as I finished the clean up, lubrication and break in procedures I grabbed a piece of 3/8 inch re-bar and chucked it up. The Smithy came with a 6 inch 3-jaw chuck. 3-jaw chucks are self centering with so-so accuracy but fine for most projects. I turned the a few diameters and made a 60 degree angle on the front. It turned well with a decent finish. For the milling machine, I put on the vise that came with the Smithy which is a 4 inch angle vise. Then I took an aluminum ingot from my casting project, put a 2 1/2 inch face mill on the machine and cut away. I was pleased to get an excellent finish on the ingot with the face mill and decided to try a 1/2 inch end mill. The end mill cut well and I set the vise on a 45 degree angle and cut some v-grooves into the side of the ingot. The only issue I found during this test was that I need to tram the milling head as the milling cutters are cutting on one side of the cutter more than the other. I will need to research the best method to tram the head. I'm not real sure that I have much control over the head itself but if I don't I should be able to tram the vise to the head. Not the ideal way to do it but it will work.     

No comments:

Post a Comment