Friday, July 30, 2010

Cleaning

After getting the machine on the stand I spent several hours cleaning as much surface area as I could get at. After cleaning off all of the goop from the external surfaces I pulled the tail stock off, cleaned the ways and deburred the gib to make sure that all of those surfaces were clean and smooth so that there was nothing to cause wear on these surfaces. I followed that process for the table and cross slide, then followed the manual instructions for lubrication. I am currently using a 30w Valvoline but am considering switching to an oil/additive combination for additional protection, although I'm not sure yet. I do run additives in my vehicles...............
After getting everything cleaned up and lubricated I followed the manual recommended break in procedure. To accomplish that I spent a few hours running the machine and I found that it was time well spent to get used to the controls on the machine.
The next step was to clean all of the various accessories that I either already had or the new ones that came with the machine.
Now it's time to try cutting some metal and making a few chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment